22 September 2013

Where in the Quran does it say that a woman must cover her HEAD?

There is a proverb that says “A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.” I have seen a lot of women who claim to be Muslimahs but never cover their heads. When you ask them why they don’t cover their heads, their answer is “Quran doesn’t say to cover head”. The purpose of this post is to educate those little knowledgeable women who claim to be Muslimahs but don’t cover their heads.

I know a Pakistani woman by the name of Mena Khan. When I advised her to cover her head as a requirement of her Islamic faith, she got mad at me and challenged me to find her a verse from the Quran that tells women to cover their heads. I accepted her challenge and read this verse to her-“And tell the believing women to….extend their headscarves to cover their breasts” (The Quran 24:31). After hearing this verse, she told me that the verse says to cover breasts ONLY. The verse doesn't say to cover heads.

I asked Mona Khan this – “God tells you to cover your breasts with the extended part of your headscarf. How do you cover your breasts if you don’t wear a headscarf?” Mona Khan replied that I was twisting God’s word to justify my point and then she walked away. Our job is to invite people, not to guide people. God says – “(O Muhammad), your duty is not to guide them. God guides whomever He wants” (The Quran 2:272).

I want to ask you the same question I asked Mona Khan – “God tells you to cover your breasts with the extended part of your headscarf. How do you cover your breasts if you don’t wear a headscarf?” You must wear a headscarf that is large enough to cover both your head and breasts.


In the picture above, the woman on the left is wearing a headscarf that is large enough to cover both her head and breasts. But the woman on the right is wearing a headscarf that is not large enough to cover her head and breasts.

Disclaimer:  The character Mona Khan in this post is fictitious.

No comments:

Post a Comment